Showing posts with label Cuban Revolution. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Cuban Revolution. Show all posts

Thursday, 11 April 2013

Cuban video game recreates revolutionary history


Cuban programmers have unveiled a new 3D video game that puts a distinctly revolutionary twist on gaming, letting players recreate decisive clashes from the 1959 uprising in which many of their grandparents fought.

Fight your way through swamps shoulder-to-shoulder with bearded guerrillas clad in the olive green of Fidel Castro and Ernesto "Che" Guevara. Your mission: topple 1950s Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista. Out to foil you are Batista soldiers and police who pop out from behind trees and fire from trucks and farmhouses. You pick them off with a vintage Colt .45 or Springfield rifle. If you're hit three times, it's revolution over.

"The player identifies with the history of Cuba," said Haylin Corujo, head of video game studies for Cuba's Youth Computing Club and leader of the team of developers who created Gesta Final – roughly translated as "Final Heroic Deed". "You can be a participant in the battles that were fought in the war from '56 to '59."

The game begins with the user joining the 82 rebels who in 1956 sailed to Cuba from Mexico aboard the Granma.

After a brief description of the landing – a spectacular disaster that very nearly derailed the rebellion when three-quarters of the Granma's passengers were killed – you find yourself wading through the wetlands of south-eastern Cuba surrounded by fellow guerrillas identifiable by the black and red armbands of the revolutionary movement.

The keyboard-operated game has five levels, most named after battles like La Plata and El Uvero, and the scenery is full of ancient vehicles and the ferns, canebrakes and mountain trails typical of the Cuban countryside. A soundtrack of gunshots and explosions accompanies the action.

The gamer never reaches the palace to take on Batista, as the main goal is to survive through to level five, which recreates the key second battle of Pino del Agua months before Batista's departure.

The game lets you pick from three player profiles, one in an olive hat similar to the one Fidel Castro was known for, another wearing a Guevara-style beret and the last with the kind of helmet worn by the ill-fated Camilo Cienfuegos in many revolution-era photographs. Programmers said that they're not meant to be exactly like the three famed rebel commanders.

"We didn't want the characters to identify any revolutionary leader, but we did want it to frame the moment," Corujo said.

This article originally appeared in the Guardian

Tuesday, 8 January 2013

A page of history: 2 January 1959

On the morning of Friday, Jan. 2, 1959, Americans who purchased The New York Times learned about a significant news event. "Batista and regime flee Cuba," said a headline atop Page One. "Castro moving to take power; Mobs riot and loot in Havana."

Subheads said: "Army halts fire," and "Rebels seize Santiago and Santa Clara, march on capital."

Here is that important story, the way it was received in the United States on that day.

By R. HART PHILLIPS

The New York Times

Havana, Friday, Jan. 2 -- Fulgencio Batista resigned as President of rebellion-torn Cuba yesterday and fled to exile in the Dominican Republic. The rebel forces of Fidel Castro moved swiftly to seize power throughout the island.

Dr. Manuel Urrutia, Senor Castro's own choice, appeared likely early this morning to become the provisional President. Col. Ramon Barquin, who had been imprisoned for conspiring against the Batista Government, was brought here by military plane from the Isle Pines penitentiary and named chief of the joint staffs.

Colonel Barquin immediately sent out a call to Senor Castro to come to the capital with Dr. Urrutia and set up a new Government. The rebel leader and his forces had entered Santiago de Cuba late yesterday and had taken over the Moncado army post without firing a shot. About 5,000 soldiers there surrendered.

Key Cities Captured

Truckloads of soldiers moved into Havana last night to maintain order in conjunction with militia of Senor Castro's 26th of July Movement, who were also patrolling the streets armed with machine guns and rifles.

The rebel forces forged ahead throughout the island. While some insurgents spread out from Santa Clara, capital of Las Villas Province, which they had seized Wednesday, other groups announced the capture of Camaguey.

General Batista led an exodus from Cuba that has reached a total of perhaps 400 persons fleeing by ship and plane to the United States and the Dominican Republic. They included key political and military leaders and their families.

Piedra Is Rejected

Calling his military chiefs together early yesterday at Camp Columbia, army headquarters, General Batista, strong man of Cuban politics for most of the period since 1933, declared he was resigning "to prevent further bloodshed."

He left behind a junta headed by Gen. Eulogio Cantillo, recently the commander in Oriente province, the center of the Castro revolt. The junta immediately designated Dr. Carlos Piedra, the oldest judge of the Supreme Court, as provisional President in accordance with the Constitution of 1940.

General Cantillo took over as chief of staff of the army. Dr. Gustavo Pelayo was designated Premier.

But Senor Castro declared that his insurgents would remain on a "war footing" and refused to accept the designation of Justice Piedra as provisional President. The Supreme Court refused to administer the oath of office to the Justice.

The rebel leader called a general strike for today in protest against the Piedra regime. He demanded that Dr. Urrutia, former judge of the Urgency Court of Santiago de Cuba, be installed as the provisional President, as he had proposed a year ago.

The Cane Planters Association of Cuba, speaking for the island's pivotal sugar industry, last night issued a statement supporting Senor Castro and his movement.

General Cantillo, as army chief, issued a cease-fire order to troops throughout the island. Political prisoners were being freed in Havana and the interior. Yesterday afternoon several hundred in Principe Fortress in Havana were released.

Restaurants Barricaded

Since it was New Year's Day, commerce and industry were halted. Restaurants, cafes and grocery stores closed their doors as rioting began. Mobs broke windows and looted some stores. The police fired on the mobs and a number of persons have been killed and wounded.

A mob set fire to the plant of El Tiempo, a newspaper owned by Senator Rolando Masferrer. Senator Masferrer, an intimate friend of General Batista, had a private army of some 2,000 operating in Oriente Province. They were accused by the inhabitants of many killings and tortures. The office of Dr. Rafael Guas Inclan, elected Mayor of Havana in November, was burned.

As the news of the fall of the Government spread early yesterday, the public poured into the streets.

The black and red flag of the 26th of July Movement, headed by Senor Castro, appeared on automobiles and buildings. Cars raced through the streets with horns blowing.

Mob Destroys Gambling Casino

Firing broke out near the docks, but details were not immediately available. A mob destroyed the new gambling casino in the Plaza Hotel.

Amleto Battisti, owner of the Sevilla Biltmore Hotel and its casino and a Representative in Congress, took refuge in the Uruguayan Embassy.

Armed young rebels seized the radio stations. Broadcasts called on the people to remain calm and orderly.

Crowds also attacked the Banco de la Construccion in the Central Plaza.

Latin-American embassies were crowded with officials who had taken political asylum. Hundreds of others were hiding in the city.

In the afternoon the National Association of Newspapermen declared a strike until the situation was clarified. But several Havana newspapers had published extra editions.

Cruise Ships Leave Port

United States Ambassador Earl E. T. Smith warned American citizens to take "appropriate precautions." Two big cruise ships with many American tourists aboard, in Havana harbor for the New Year's holiday, left yesterday.

Many tourists were stranded here by the swift fall of the Government. Plane service was curtailed for a time and ships arriving at Havana were unable to dock owing to the strike. The United States Embassy said it was trying to arrange transportation for a large number of tourists and some students who had asked its assistance.

Later, it was announced that it was arranging for a ship to come from Key West today to pick up stranded citizens.

City Almost Deserted

Restaurants and other establishments that closed during the rioting did not open because personnel heeded the strike call. However, most hotels supplied their guests with meals.

The resistance movement told the public that the strike would not include telephones, broadcasting and power services.

At night Havana was almost a deserted city, the inhabitants remaining in their homes. Only a few automobiles moved on the streets. The mobs had disappeared.

In the luxurious Miramar residential section, a few of the homes of high officials were looted, including that of the chief of the national police, Pilar Garcia, who fled in the morning.

No Patrolmen Seen on Street

No policemen on foot were seen patroling the streets of Havana. Some patrol cars drove about. The lack of display of force was in startling contrast with the number of armed forces that patrolled the city and guarded strategic points heretofore.

Later last night, troops and militiamen took over the task of guarding the city.

Eusebio Mujal, secretary general of the Confederation of Cuban Workers, sought asylum in the Argentine Embassy. Senor Mujal and his labor leaders strongly supported the Batista regime.

Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Cuban Minister of Armed Forces Passes Away

Minister of the Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces and Vice President of the Cuban Councils of State and Ministers General Julio Casas Regueiro passed away in Havana on Saturday.

A note released by the Communist Party of Cuba's Politburo stated that General C Casas Regueiro died from a heart attack at 1:20 p.m. Saturday.

Julio Casas Regueiro was born in Bombi, Mayari Arriba, province of Santiago de Cuba, on February 16, 1936. He graduated from the Professional School of Business of Santiago de Cuba and began his revolutionary activities following the March 10, 1952 coup d'état.

In June 1957, he gave up his position as an accountant at the bank of Santiago de Cuba due to persecution by the tyranny and returned to his parents' farm where he contacted members of the 26 of July Movement and worked with the movement on several activities, becoming one of the first rebel combatants in the area.

When the Frank País Second Eastern Front was formed in March 1958, he joined it under Commander Raul Castro and took part in several combats, including the capture of the city of Guantanamo on January 1, 1959.

After the triumph of the Cuban Revolution, Casas Regueiro assumed several responsibilities in the Cuban National Police, and as part of that body he fought against the Playa Giron (Bay of Pigs) mercenary invasion.

From 1961 on, he occupied different posts in the logistics services of the Revolutionary Armed Forces (FAR) and was promoted to vice minister in 1969. He was also Chief of the Eastern Army, Chief of the Anti-Air Forces and the Air Force, and First Vice Minister of the FAR. He was appointed Minister of the FAR in February 2008.

When Cuba established international help with Ethiopia en 1978, Julio Casas Regueiro was named the Substitute Chief of the Military Mission in Ethiopia. He took courses at several military schools including the USSR Voroshilov General Staff Academy.

Julio Casas Regueiro was also a founder of Cuba´s Communist Party and a member of its Central Committee since the First Congress of the organization. During the Fourth Party Congress he was elected member of the Political Bureau, a condition ratified by the Fifth and Sixth Congresses of the Communist Party.

From 1981 he served as a member of the National Assembly, a member of the State Council since 1986, and in 2088 he was elected Vice President of the Council of State.

He received several titles and decorations including the Honorific Title of Hero of the Republic of Cuba and the Playa Giron Order.

Army Corp General Julio Casas Regueiro was known for his loyalty to the homeland, the people, the Revolution and to his Commander in Chief and Army General Raul Castro.

Thanks to his high level of rationality, efficiency and dedication, he made significant contributions to the strengthening of the nation's defence as well as to improving business efficiency in the FAR and the drafting and subsequent implementation of the Guidelines for Economic and Social Policy of the Party and Revolution, adopted by the Sixth Congress.

Following his wishes, the mortal remains of Julio Casas Regueiro were cremated and taken to the Mausoleum of the Frank Pais Second Eastern Front, where they will be paid the corresponding military honors.

Cuban President Raul Castro on Monday led a tribute to late Army General Julio Casas Regueiro. During the funeral, held on the first floor of the Sierra Maestra building, headquarters of the Defense Ministry, it was announced that the Council of State had conferred on Casas Regueiro the postmortem title of Hero of Labor of the Republic of Cuba.

The honor was granted for the late general's record of exceptional record of service to the Revolution and its defense, and to the national economy, with exemplary discipline, rationality and proved efficiency in the fulfilment of relevant political, state, government and military duties and missions.

Cuban Communist Party leaders and members of the councils of State and Ministers participated in the event. One of the many wreaths sent in tribute to Casas Regueiro was from the leader of the Cuban Revolution, Fidel Castro.

The Council of State has decreed a state of national mourning

Story courtesy of Juventud Rebelde